2 Hour Course: Instructors Wrenn and Dobbs
10:45-10:55: Do Now: Take short google form about formative assessment and SBG/ Introductions.
Based on the google form information, we will choose 3 tools to work on. 11:00-11:10 Tool 1; 11:10-11:20 Tool 2; 11:20-11:30 Tool 3
11:30-11:40 Short discussion about how you might use one of these tools/ What IS formative Assessment? Why should you use it?
11:40-11:50 Direct Instruction SBG: What is Standards Based Grading? Start watching at 13:22 mins.
– What is the purpose of grades? To communicate learning. *This is philosophically important.
– Old Gradebook: Tests, Quizzes, Homework, Participation….. what do these categories actually communicate?
– SBG Gradebook: Reading, Writing, Discussion, Presentation, Research, Literary Devices, Collaboration, Responsibility….. what do these categories communicate?
11:50-12:10 mins Strategy: Fishbowl Formative Feedback and Discussion of SBG. Today’s meet formative assessment.
– How might using SBG change the way you teach?
– How might SBG help your students? You?
– What are drawbacks of SBG?
12:10-12:40 Work Time: Take some time to work individually or as partners to revamp your grade books or plan to implement formative assessment strategies in your lessons.
12:40-12:45 Take the google form one more time, but this time check all of the boxes for tools that you feel comfortable trying in your classroom.